Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Delhi Weekend

So my Bro-in-law was visiting and had never seen the Qutb Minar. I had also visited it more than 15 years ago and because one could see it everytime one travelled from Gurgaon to South-Delhi and back, somehow it hadnt appealed enough for a visit during my more than 3-yr stay here.
We decided to go to Qutb Minar and then see from there what to do.

We reached there in the afternoon and the sunny winter afternoon made the visit quite pleasant. There is huge open space around the Minar which is carpeted with lush green and well maintained lawns. The Minar and other monuments inside the complex are like interspersed in the middle of the green carpet. I have begun to believe that I am developing into someone who has started appreciating the arts because I was just fascinated by the beauty of the carvings around the Minar. On every floor of the Minar was an exquisitely carved balcony that hung outward and the intricate work on those took my breath away. In short, the winter afternoon sun and the beauty of the monument made the visit extremely enjoyable.

Then we decided to pay a visit to CP/Janpath, first for a bite and then for a shopping trip for wifey. We hit the much celebrated South Indian place called Sarvana Bhavan. While the rest ordered assorted dosas, I ordered Paneer Dosa and after 10 minutes they said that it will take 15 minutes for them to prepare. As I was quite hungry by the time I asked them how much time would Idli take and they said 'Immediately'. So I asked them to get me a plate of Idli immediately and follow it up with the Paneer Dosa. Idli was good but even after my having finished off the idli they said that paneer dosa would take nother 15 minutes. Clearly, they did not want to serve me Paneer Dosa. They tried to push Mysore Masala Dosa which I accepted because I was extremely hungry. What arrived was a very spicy plate of Dosa 'dripping' with oil. The others too had got their Dosas dripping with oil. The sambhar and chatni were good but we were really put off by the oil-dripping dosa servings. Wonder why the place is so famous and is called the best South-Indian food joint in Delhi. Naivedyam chain is much better in terms of service and preparation. I have been eating there since 2000 and the experience has always been very good.

It was dusk when we visited India Gate and drove along Raj Path right to the gates of Rashtrapati Bhavan. When you drive up Raisina hill and park the car next to South Block and turn around, you feel GRAND. I wonder how many tourists in Delhi go down that road. The drive to Raisina hill and the view of Raj[ath and India Gate from there are really wonderful and highly recommended for anyone visiting Delhi. It just takes 10 minutes to start from from India Gate. Stop for some pictures from between North Block and South Block and return and the time is worth it.

No comments: