Friday, May 04, 2007

About Cities

What makes a city livable? Roads, Water, Power, Climate? Almost all 'cities' in India have these in an acceptable range or one which can be made acceptable by spending some money on backups.

What I am talking about is the culture / the soul of a place. The feeling of belonging or acceptability you feel. The feeling where you do not wish to be in another city or place and are satisfied with what the city has to offer.

Lucknow makes me feel good in spite of its extreme climate.

Pune made me feel good. Was it climate ...I dont think so... was it the culture ... maybe... even though the language barrier was there. There were concerts, recitals, theatre which I attended and relished.

In Gurgaon I really do not have avenues for spending leisure time. There are just the malls and multiplexes! What about the culture... what about concerts... and recitals... and theatre... nope. You have malls and multiplexes and you better make do with those because thats the standard stuff - one size fits all. If you want to experience the cultural part, you need to drive an hour to Delhi for it which gets in it another set of planning and thinking (if the concert is at 5 we need to reach by 4.30 to get tickets so we should start by 3.30 which means that we should have lunch by then which means that there is no chance to do the cleanup and sorting planned for the house for this weekend!!! nah!!! too many things to think about. Just adds to the stress and the frustration)

I do not find Gurgaon having a soul. I have to go to the old city - the Sadar Bazaar to feel it. I like to go to Sadar Bazar just for that. Maybe I am used to the chaotic markets of UP and this is similar. Last week, wifey and I found a reason to go to Sadar Bazar... exchange scheme for utencils and an opportunity for wifey to shop for Diwan sets. Spent about 2 hours there and came back feeling refreshed and satiated with the experience... inspite of the chaos and the noise and the warm weather. I dont feel that way coming out shopping from the neat and clean and spic span and swanky air conditioned malls. Pity, these markets too would sooner or later convert to the mall ilk.

No comments: